[R] creating new variable

PIKAL Petr petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Mon Sep 24 14:51:02 CEST 2012

Hi

Well I am a little lost in your explanation maybe you could show us part of your variables.

Anyway if rel is existence of relation
> rel<-sample(0:1, 10, replace=T)

and int is intensity of relation
> int<-sample(1:5, 10, replace=T)

whole <-int*rel
 [1] 2 1 5 2 5 0 4 4 0 2

Gives you 0 where there is no relation and numbers 1:5 showing intensity of relation

change it to factor

whole <-factor(whole)

and chase levels
levels(whole) <-rep(c("weak", "medium", "strong"), each=2)

Regards
Petr