[R] What to use for ti in back-transforming summary statistics from F-T double square-root transformation in 'metafor'

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Fri Sep 28 13:50:12 CEST 2012

Dear Chunyan,

One possibility would be to use the harmonic mean of the person-time at risk values. You will have to do this manually though at the moment. Here is an example:

### let's just use the treatment group data from dat.warfarin
data(dat.warfarin)
dat <- escalc(xi=x1i, ti=t1i, measure="IRFT", data=dat.warfarin, append=TRUE)
dat

### check if back-transformation of individual IRFT values works
transf.iirft(dat$yi, ti=dat$t1i)
escalc(xi=x1i, ti=t1i, measure="IR", data=dat.warfarin)$yi

### random-effects models
res <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat)
res

### harmonic mean of the ti's
ti.hm <- 1/(mean(1/dat$t1i))

### back-transformation using the harmonic mean
transf.iirft(res$b, ti=ti.hm)
transf.iirft(res$ci.lb, ti=ti.hm)
transf.iirft(res$ci.ub, ti=ti.hm)

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology