[R] Removing lower whisker in boxplot to see the effects of the high values

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Sep 29 19:46:15 CEST 2012

On Sep 29, 2012, at 10:23 AM, Meredith Ballard LaBeau wrote:

> Good Afternoon-
>  I was wanting to alter the boxplot to remove the lower whisker, both the
> whisker line and staple just on the lower end. Is there a way to do this?
> As my code is currently:
> boxplot(log_loads~ind,data=nfmaum, horizontal=TRUE, notch=T, outline=FALSE,
> whisker=0, main="Maumee River Near Future Climate Scenarios", ylab="Log
> Load",xlab="Climate Scenarios")

If you altered the value in what is passed from `boxplot.stats` to `bxp` so the lower whisker value was the same as the lower hinge value The lower whisker would merge into the hinge. `boxplot` returns those stats-values invisibly, so you just assign to an object name, make your changes and pass back to bxp.

--

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA