[R] Can package plyr also calculate the mode?

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Thu Apr 4 00:56:43 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-03 14:59, Sarah Goslee wrote:
> Of course it can. Use the mode() in the same way you used the mean() function.
>
> You didn't provide a reproducible example, so I can't provided tested
> code, but I would think that you can add
> mode=mode(COUNTS) to the ddply() arguments.

?mode will direct you to the help page for _storage_ mode of an object.
That's not likely what the OP had in mind. It seems that what s/he
wants is the "most frequent value". This is (usually) a pretty useless
piece of information, but there are a number of packages that do
provide it.

To the OP:
Install package sos and then do findFn("mode") to see what's available.
E.g. packages, pracma, asbio, dprep, rattle and many others.
Do note that they handle the multimodal situation differently.

Or, write your own, perhaps using table() and which.max().

Peter Ehlers