[R] Select single probe-set with median expression from multiple probe-sets corresponding to same gene -AFFY

Atul Kakrana atulkakrana at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 00:17:22 CEST 2013

Hello All,

I need your help. I am analysing affymetrix data and have to select the
probe-set that has median expression among all the probe-sets for same
gene. This way I want to remove the redundancy by keeping the analysis
to single gene entry level. I am fully aware that it is not a nice thing
to do but I just have to do it.

To do so, I came across 'findLargest' function of 'genefilter' package
but it's not well documented; and I do not know how to implement the
'findLargest' function. At this point I have:
esetRMA <- rma(mydata)

Could anybody guide me on how can I select single probeset with median
expression from multiple probe-sets corresponding to single gene and
discard others? Is there any other way to achieve so i.e. other than
using 'genefilter'?

Genefilter package:
http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.11/bioc/html/genefilter.html

Thanks