[R] produce a map in ARCGIS from a GAM output

Lauria, Valentina valentina.lauria at nuigalway.ie
Fri Apr 12 15:58:52 CEST 2013

Dear Barry,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am trying to create a map in GIS of the habitat prediction of lobster using environmental predictors. I am attaching here a brief example of my script and data.

I am OK for the GAM fitting and evaluation (residuals plot etc) but I am having problems to create a prediction map (raster of my GAM output) in GIS. In particular when I run predict.gam I get a set of values which I guess are the probability of lobster densities in function of my environmental predictors, but I do not know how to geo-reference these points. I will read about the raster package as I have to extrapolate my predictions for a larger area (where we have no data). Any help and suggestion is very much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Valentina

Dr. Valentina Lauria
Postdoctoral researcher