[R] BLAS with glmnet

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 09:51:53 CEST 2013

On Apr 12, 2013, at 22:49 , Brian Pasley wrote:

> I'm using a multithreaded BLAS library with R and I see the expected
> speed improvements with matrix multiplication, svd, etc.  However,
> glmnet continues to use only a single CPU.  Since this package is
> compiled from Fortran, is this the expected behavior or is there a way
> to compile the glmnet package so that it uses the multithreaded BLAS
> library?

You'd need to check with the author for full details, or study the code yourself. Or the JSS paper.

As a general matter, a package won't benefit from a fast BLAS if it doesn't use it. Presumably, glmnet does not, or does not do so in timing-critical areas.

I wouldn't expect Fortran per se to have anything to do with it, although I can't rule out that the code might be rewritten to take advantage of the BLAS.

-pd

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501