[R] Strange error with log-normal models

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 19:30:51 CEST 2013

On 16/04/2013 1:19 PM, Noah Silverman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some data, that when plotted looks very close to a log-normal distribution.  My goal is to build a regression model to test how this variable responds to several independent variables.
>
> To do this, I want to use the fitdistr tool from the MASS package to see how well my data fits the actual distribution, and also build a generalized linear model using the glm command.
>

> The summary of my data is:
>
>     Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
>   0.0000  0.0000  0.0000  0.8617  0.8332 55.5600
>
> So, no missing values, no negative values.
>
> When I try to use the fitdistr command, I get an error that I don't understand:
> m <- fitdistr(y, densfun="lognormal")
>
> Error in fitdistr(y, densfun = "lognormal") :  need positive values to fit a log-Normal

You have zeros in your data.  The lognormal distribution never takes on
the value zero.

If they are zero because of rounding (e.g. 0.001 would be recorded as
zero), and there aren't too many of them, then replacing the zeros with
a small positive value (e.g. half the smallest non-zero value) might
make sense.  But your median is zero, so at least half of your
observations are zero.

You need to come up with a better model than "lognormal".

Duncan Murdoch