[R] Strange error with log-normal models

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 01:09:57 CEST 2013

peter dalgaard <pdalgd <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 16, 2013, at 22:20 , Noah Silverman wrote:
>

> > My challenge here is finding the right model for this data.
> Originally it was a nice count of students.  Relatively easy to
> model with a zero inflated Poisson model.  The resulting residuals
> seemed reasonable.  >

 [snip]

> Off the cuff: Could it be more natural to model as a ZIP with log(pop) as
an offset on the log-lambda scale?

  I agree.

This was cross-posted to StackOverflow (broken URL:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16046726/
   regression-for-a-rate-variable-in-r ), where I made
that suggestion.

  I don't know that cross-posting to r-help lists and StackOverflow
is anywhere expressly forbidden (cross-posting *among* r lists is
ruled out in the Posting Guide), but I'd prefer people didn't
(because of this kind of wasted/duplicated effort).