[R] NAMESPACE and imports

Frank Harrell f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Apr 19 16:26:19 CEST 2013

I am cleaning up the rms package to not export functions not to be called
directly by users.  rms uses generic functions defined in other packages.
For example there is a latex method in the Hmisc package, and rms has a
latex method for objects of class "anova.rms" so there are anova.rms and
latex.anova.rms functions in rms.  I use:

export(asis,bj,bjplot,bootBCa,bootcov,bootplot,bplot,calibrate,cph,catg,combineRelatedPredictors,confplot,contrast,coxphFit,cph,cr.setup,datadist,effective.df,fastbw,formatNP,gendata,gIndex,GiniMd,Glm,Gls,groupkm,Hazard,hazard.ratio.plot,histdensity,"%ia%",ie.setup,interactions.containing,legend.nomabbrev,lm.pfit,lrm,lrtest,lsp,matinv,matrx,Newlabels,Newlevels,nomogram,num.intercepts,ols,ols.influence,oos.loglik,pantext,Penalty.matrix,Penalty.setup,pentrace,perimeter,perlcode,plot.xmean.ordinaly,pol,pphsm,predab.resample,Predict,psm,rcs,related.predictors,reVector,robcov,Rq,sascode,scored,sensuc,setPb,show.influence,specs,strat,Surv,"[.Surv",survdiffplot,survest,Survival,survplot,univarLR,validate,val.prob,val.probg,val.surv,vif,which.influence)

importFrom(Hmisc)
S3method(anova, rms)
S3method(latex, anova.rms, bj, cph, Glm, Gls, lrm, naprint.delete, ols,
pphsm, psm, rms, Rq, summary.rms, validate)

When doing R CMD INSTALL I get: [using R 2.15.3]

** preparing package for lazy loading
Error : c("bad 'S3method' directive: S3method(latex, anova.rms, bj, cph,
Glm, Gls, lrm, naprint.delete, ", "bad 'S3method' directive:     ols, pphsm,
psm, rms, Rq, summary.rms, validate)")
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package ‘rms’

Any advice appreciated.
Frank

-----
Frank Harrell