[R] question

Roger Koenker rkoenker at illinois.edu
Mon Apr 22 14:29:04 CEST 2013

In quantreg if you do

	FAQ()

item 4 is:

4.  [R^2]  "I am currently trying to caculate the coefficient of determination for
different quantile regression models. For example, how do you calculate
the the sum of the weighted absolute deviations in the models ..."

   R-squared is evil, that is why there isn't an automated way to compute
   something similar for quantile regression  in the quantreg package.
   But if you insist use:

        R1 <- 1 - f1$rho/f0$rho

   Provided that f0 is nested within f1 and the taus are the same, 0 <= R1 <= 1.
   If you want to test f1 vs f0 then use anova(f1,f0)

   For further details see: Koenker R. and Jose A.F. Machado.  Goodness
   of Fit and Related Inference Processes for Quantile Regression
   J. of Am Stat. Assoc, (1999), 94, 1296-1310.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Urbana, IL 61801