[R] Strange graphical pattern when using hist() function

Kevin E. Thorpe kevin.thorpe at utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 23 20:33:01 CEST 2013

On 04/23/2013 01:40 PM, Humberto Mohr wrote:
> Running the following lines I got a strange plot from hist function:
>
> x<-0:30
> hist(x,breaks=31)
>
> As you can see, the 0 value appears two times in the plot.
> The Y axis only presents 1 as the highest value when:
>
> hist(x,breaks=62)
>
> Nevertheless, it seems to have two bars between 0 and 1.
>
> Could someone please explain to me why it is happening?
>
> Many thanks in advance!

I think if you do print(hist(x,breaks=31)) you will see it.

The "zero" bin has the values for zero and one.  There are 30 bins, not
31, as I think you are expecting.

Take a look at the ?hist to understand how the bins are constructed.

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Head of Biostatistics,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)