[R] Time and Date formatting

Tue Apr 23 22:37:55 CEST 2013

a) In some analyses, date/time values are only needed to identify data records, in which case a simple paste is enough.

b) If you ARE going to need to to calculate or plot date/time and choose to use POSIXt types to represent it, make a habit of always setting your "local" (local to the computer process, at least) timezone to match the timezone of your data (e.g. Sys.setenv( TZ="Etc/GMT+8")) at least for the duration of this conversion to avoid mysterious NA values in the POSIX data. If you don't want to be bothered with time zones, then use the chron library as mentioned in ?as.POSIXct.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing