[R] identify object that causes "Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called ‘R.utils’"

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Wed Apr 24 16:12:33 CEST 2013

On 04/24/2013 06:03 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 13-04-24 5:46 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> I've bumped into the: "Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no
>> package called ‘R.utils’" error. I've already read a bit on this (
>> http://www.cybaea.net/Blogs/Data/A-warning-on-the-R-save-format.html )
>> but I have a follow-up question.
>>
>> Given a workspace that automatically loads a package that I don't
>> really need/want (e.g. ‘R.utils’), how do I identify which object
>> requires this package to load? I would like to avoid loading ‘R.utils’
>> every time I open an R session.
>
> That's not easy, because the code in R that triggers that error has no idea of
> the name of the object it is loading.

Maybe traceback() can provide some hints? I did, more or less arbitrarily

library(rms)
a = list(fun=ie.setup)
save(a, file="/tmp/a.rda")
remove.packages("rms")

and then in a new session

 > load("/tmp/a.rda")
Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'rms'
 > traceback()
7: stop(e)
6: value[[3L]](cond)
5: tryCatchOne(expr, names, parentenv, handlers[[1L]])
4: tryCatchList(expr, classes, parentenv, handlers)
3: tryCatch(loadNamespace(name), error = function(e) stop(e))
2: getNamespace(c("rms", "3.6-3"))
1: load("/tmp/a.rda")

with the line numbered 2 giving me the necessary hint.

Martin