[R] identify object that causes "Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called ‘R.utils’"

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 17:04:23 CEST 2013

Dear Duncan,

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I've done sometimes in debugging is to change that error to a warning
> in the getNamespace() function, and add some tracing code to the
> serialization code to print the names of objects as they are loaded. (This
> goes in ReadItem in src/main/serialize.c.)
>
> I wouldn't expect Liviu to make those changes, but perhaps a "verbose"
> option could be added to load(), so that it could be available to users.

That would be useful, indeed. As it stands save()/load() workspaces in
R seems very fragile and could easily trip users when working on
multiple machines or sharing their workspace with a colleague. In such
cases it is important to be able to quickly pinpoint the offending
object.

Regards,
Liviu