[R] Trouble Computing Type III SS in a Cox Regression

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Thu Apr 25 17:40:27 CEST 2013

You've missed the point of my earlier post, which is that "type III" is not an answerable
question.

    1. There are lots of ways to compare Cox models, LRT is normally considered the most
reliable by serious authors.  There is usually not much difference between score, Wald,
and LRT tests though, and the other two are more convenient in many situations.

    2. "Type III" is a question that can't be addressed. SAS prints something out with
that label, but since they don't document what it is, and people with in-depth knowlegde
of Cox models (like me) cannot figure out what a sensible definition could actually be,
there is nowhere to go.  "How to do this in R" can't be answered.  (It has nothing to do
with interactions.)

   3. If you have customers who think that the earth is flat, global warming is a
conspiracy, or that type III has special meaning this is a re-education issue, and I can't
much help with that.

Terry T.

On 04/25/2013 07:59 AM, Paul Miller wrote