[R] the joy of spreadsheets (off-topic)

Nuri Jazairi nuri at yorku.ca
Sat Apr 27 20:35:16 CEST 2013

Maurice Allais (1988 Nobel Laureate in Economics) once said something to
the effect that economics can never be a science because it involves
self-interest. *

* "It has been said that Euclid's theorem would have been bitterly
contested had its implications brought financial or political interests
into play. This is no exaggeration. One of the Roman emperors had the first
inventor of aluminum put to death because he considered the discovery
liable to injure certain vested interests. There is no other explanation
for the secular resistance to technical progress. In France the supply of
the first printed cotton garments cost the lives of thousands of people in
the 18th century, and in the 19th, the most active opponents of railway
development were the stagecoach drivers and owners. Recent history
confirms centuries of experience." (Maurice Allais: "Economics as a
Science", Librairie Droz, Geneve 1968, page 19.)

Nuri