[R] How to create a dendrogram with colored branches

Gregory Jefferis jefferis at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 20:46:08 CEST 2013

On 3 Aug 2013, at 16:47, beginner wrote:

> d <- dist(as.matrix(data[,29]))   # find distance matrix
> hc <- hclust(d)                # apply hirarchical clustering
> plot(hc,labels=data[,1], main="", xlab="") # plot the dendrogram

You haven't given a reproducible example (data is undefined), so we can't help you with your specific code.  But what you want can be achieved with the package dendroextras on CRAN.

install.packages("dendroextras")
library(dendroextras)
hc=hclust(dist(USArrests), "ave")
# nb you have to cut your dendrogram by number of groups (k)
d5=colour_clusters(hc,k=5)
plot(d5)
#... or by height (h)
d5=colour_clusters(hc,h=75)