[R] Kite Diagrams

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Mon Aug 5 11:33:07 CEST 2013

On 08/05/2013 04:45 PM, Ruth Chan wrote:
> I would like to teach my students to do a simple kite diagram with some
> simulated data.

> I would like to use Altitude as a proxy for distance and I have 2 readings
> for each altitude: one to the supposed right and one to the supposed left
> of the transect.

> And I’m now at a loss…would anyone be able to help?

Hi Ruth,
The kiteChart function displays a series of numeric values as widths of
a polygon along some numeric dimension. You can get a kite chart of your
data like this:

forest.data<-read.csv("forest.csv")
forestmat<-matrix(forest.data$Total,nrow=2,byrow=TRUE)
forestmat
      [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5] [,6]
[1,]  827  917  946  516  775  777
[2,]   22   41   52   65   78   82
kiteChart(forestmat,timelabels=forest.data$Altitude.percent[1:6]))

but I don't think that is what you want. The code below shows my guess
at what you want, a comparison of "Total" by the altitude variable,
using the mean of the two observations for each forest type and altitude
percent.

forestdat<-matrix(forest.data[,2:3],ncol=2)
colnames(forestdat)<-c("Altitude.percent","Total")
forest.total<-matrix(c(by(forestdat[1:6,2],forestdat[1:6,1],mean),
  by(forestdat[7:12,2],forestdat[7:12,1],mean)),nrow=2,byrow=TRUE)
forest.total
[1,]  776 731.0 872.0
[2,]   80  58.5  31.5
timepos<-c(1,10,20)
kiteChart(forest.total,timelabels=timepos,
  varlabels=c("Primary","Secondary"),xlab="Altitude percent",
  ylab="Total",main="Forest kite chart")

Jim