[R] Creating a model with fixed and random variables

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Mon Aug 5 18:22:40 CEST 2013

> %in% doesn't generally mean 'nested in' in R. It is a set membership test

In a formula (involving a tilde) given to lm() or glm() %in% generally does mean nesting.
  > attr(terms(y ~ (x1+x2) %in% (x3+x4+x5)), "term.labels")
  [1] "x1:x3:x4:x5" "x2:x3:x4:x5"
but the "|" operator stops terms() from interpreting the usual formula operators
in the usual way
  > attr(terms(y ~ 1 | (x1+x2) %in% (x3+x4+x5)), "term.labels")
  [1] "1 | (x1 + x2) %in% (x3 + x4 + x5)"

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com