[R] How to retrieve pairwise distances between clusters after cutting the tree?

David Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Tue Aug 6 22:54:04 CEST 2013

Assuming you are defining "distance between clusters" as the
distance between the centroids and you have the original data, you
can use aggregate() on the original data with the output from
cutree() as the grouping variable to create a new data.frame of
cluster centers (means). Then just run that through dist().
Something like

set.seed(42)
x <- matrix(runif(250), 25, 10)
dist(aggregate(x, by=list(cutree(hclust(dist(x)), k=3)), mean))
#          1        2
# 2 1.297682
# 3 2.150580 1.380707

David L Carlson