[R] easiest way to put italics words in sentences plotted with text()?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Aug 10 04:54:45 CEST 2013

On Aug 9, 2013, at 7:22 PM, arun wrote:

> Hi,
> May be this gets you started:
>
> plot(1,1,xlim=0:1,ylim=0:1)
> text(0.6,0.8, expression(M3:~italic(Homo)~paste(",", " 5 areas, 2 areas max",sep="")))
>  text(0.6,0.4, expression(M4:~italic(Pan)~paste(",", " 3 areas, 2 areas max",sep="")))

The plotmath paste() function does not have a 'sep' argument. Here are two paste-free alternatives:

plot(1,1,xlim=0:1,ylim=0:1)
text(0.6,0.8, expression(M3:~italic(Homo)~", 5 areas, 2 areas max"))
text(0.6,0.4, expression(M4:~italic(Pan)~","~3~areas*","~2~areas~max))

commas need to be quoted since they are otherwise interpreted as separating distinct expressions. The "*" is  a spaceless searator.

--
David.