[R] Advice on use of R for Generalised Linear Modelling

John Sorkin JSorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Sun Aug 11 19:11:24 CEST 2013

Alan,
I can't answer your first question, but as far as the second question goes, have you examined RStudio?
http://www.rstudio.com/
Rstudio is a free, nice, IDE (I think this stands for integrated development environment that facilitates working in R. I provides very very basic sytax help (i.e. makes sure parenthesis are balanced), but more importantly allows for viewing plots generated by code more easily.
John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119
(Fax) 410-605-7913 (Please call phone number above prior to faxing) >>> Alan Sausse <alansausse at gmail.com> 8/11/2013 7:47 AM >>>
Hi,

Not an expert R user, something of a novice - please be gentle with me!

I have a particular interest in generalised linear models (GLMs) and I'm
experienced in fitting them using other bits of software.

R can fit GLMs of course, using the glm() command.  I have some large
multivariate data sets I'd like to fit GLMs to, ideally using R.  Two
concerns though:

Firstly, I'm told that R isn't especially fast at fitting GLMs, especially
if the data files are too large to fit into RAM.  Can anyone advise if
there are alternatives to glm() around which might cope better.  For
example, I've heard that RevolutionR is available, and claims to fit GLMs
faster in these cases.  Might it be possible, alternatively, to write some
very quick code using C (for example) and to get R to invoke this instead?
Has anyone tried to do this?

Secondly, I might like to create some kind of GUI so that I can have a nice
interface for viewing data, specifying models, showing graphical model
outputs, etc.  Is there a preferred way to do this?  The only GUI builder I
know of is Shiny - http://www.rstudio.com/shiny/ - is this a good way to
go?  What alternatives might I consider?

My IT/coding skills are limited.  I'm hoping at some point to find an R
expert to collaborate with, but in the mean time, a few pointers would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

[[alternative HTML version deleted]]