[R] Off-topic? Linux laptop for R

Rolf Turner rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz
Sun Aug 11 22:19:37 CEST 2013

I think that Hasan Diwan's assertion is a bit of an
over-simplification.  I have a Toshiba Satellite
L850 that has no problems of any sort running R.  However it *does* have
problems with WiFi.
The WiFi drivers for my laptop won't work under (any?) Linux system.
Apparently (I don't completely
grok the concepts here) this is because the drivers are proprietary and
so Linux developers can't
get at the code.

My previous laptop (an elderly IBM ThinkPad) had no problems with WiFi,
at least not after I
upgraded to the then most recent versions of Fedora and later Ubuntu.

I have managed to work around the WiFi problem by using a USB WiFi
device.  Be careful,
but.  The first one I got, an ASUS USB-N10, was advertised to have
"Linux support" but
after much travail (and after having got a great deal of expert advice)
I decided it was
no go.  I am currently using an EnGenius EUB9801 which seems to work
smoothly.  I have
also ordered a "Penguin Wireless G USB Adapter for GNU / Linux" from
ThinkPenguin.com,
but it hasn't arrived yet.  (Being shipped from the USA to New
Zealand.)  The ThinkPenguin
people seem to have their heads screwed on right, and answered my
inquiry promptly,
thoroughly and comprehensibly.

I hope this is of some relevance to someone!

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner