[R] coxph diagnostics

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Aug 13 15:16:32 CEST 2013

That's the primary reason for the plot: so that you can look and think.

The test statistic is based on whether a LS line fit to the plot has zero slope.  For
larger data sets you can sometimes have a "significant" p-value but good agreement with
proportional hazards.  It's much like an example from Lincoln Moses' begining statistics
book (now out of print, so rephrasing from memory).
    "Suppose that you flip a coin 10,000 times and get 5101 heads.  What can you say?
        a. The coin is not perfectly fair (p<.05).  b. But it is darn close to perfect! "
As a referee I would be comfortable using that coin to start a football game.

The Cox model gives an average hazard ratio, averaged over time.  When proportional
hazards holds that value is a complete summary-- nothing else is needed.    When it does
not hold, the average may still be useful, or not, depending on the degree of change over
time.

Terry Therneau