[R] force pdf()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 14 14:00:31 CEST 2013

On 14/08/2013 11:23, Christof Kluß wrote:
> Hi
>
> is there a way to generate a pdf, e.g. pdf("test.pdf"), even if the file
> "test.pdf" is open? (e.g. with acrobat)
>
> i.e. I would have to close "test.pdf" in the viewer without any user
> interaction, than override the file and maybe open it again.
>
> thx
> Christof

This is not an R question, and depends on your unstated OS and precisely
how it was opened by the viewer.

R behaves just like any other standards-conformant C program in this
respect.  For Acrobat, ask Adobe, and so on.  For Acrobat Reader the
three OSes I use regularly all behave differently, and other PDF viewers
behave differently from Acrobat Reader.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk