[R] sendmail -- issue with mime_part

Dennis Fisher fisher at plessthan.com
Thu Aug 15 18:29:27 CEST 2013

R 3.0.1
OS X 10.8.4

Colleagues,

I am using sendmailR to send myself notifications when a lengthy R process completes.  Sample code is:
	require("sendmailR")
	NOTIFY		<- "Notification"
	FROM		<- "<fisher at plessthan.com>"
	TO		<- FROM
	CONTROL		<- list(smtpServer="ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM")
	HEADERS		<- list(From=FROM)
#	TEXT		<- c("xxx", "yyy", "zzz")
	TEXT		<- data.frame(as.matrix(c("xxx", "yyy", "zzz"), ncol=1))
	names(TEXT)	<- "HEADERNAME"
	BODY		<- list(NOTIFY, mime_part(TEXT, name="SOMENAME"))
	sendmail(from=FROM, to=TO, subject="TEST1", msg=BODY, control=CONTROL, headers=HEADERS)
The process is successful and TEXT appears in an attachment named SOMENAME.txt.  So far, so good. However, the content of SOMENAME.txt is:

"HEADERNAME"
"1" "xxx"
"2" "yyy"
"3" "zzz"

I would like to get rid of the row numbers ("1", "2", "3").  I tried several variants of the assignment to TEXT. I discovered (please correct me if I am wrong) that TEXT needs to be a dataframe (and as.matrix.  If it is not a dataframe, TEXT appears in-line within the email rather than as an attachment.

Also, ".txt" is appended to SOMENAME.  If, for example, I wanted the file to be named SOMENAME.csv, the command -- name="SOMENAME.csv" would yield "SOMENAME.csv.txt".  Is there some means to prevent addition of the .txt extension?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)