[R] initializing timeseries with ts()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 16 08:27:09 CEST 2013

On 15/08/2013 21:11, Daren Zou wrote:
> Hi, i was messing around with R and noticed that there is an object for timeseries which can be initialized with the ts() function. however it seems that it can only be initialized with a vector of data points and its assumed that these data points occur at regular time periods, user to specify frequency
> and there is no way to initialize a timeseries object with two vectors, one of datetimes and another of actual data points
> anyone know if my understanding is accurate?

Read the help page, ?ts .

      The function ‘ts’ is used to create time-series objects.  These
      are vector or matrices with class of ‘"ts"’ (and additional
      attributes) which represent data which has been sampled at
      equispaced points in time.

That is the definition used in almost all work on time series in
statistics.  And the claim that the vector or matrix need be numeric is
false.

There are several packages which handle un-equally spaced series:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/TimeSeries.html .