[R] Adding additional points to ggplot2

zelfortin jmichel.fortin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 17:11:51 CEST 2013

Hi,

you could also use a factor variable to differentiate your observed and
estimated values and change shape and/or color based on that factor.

e.g.

ggplot(aes(x=X,y=Y, shape=factor(Type))) + geom_point()      #For changing
shapes
ggplot(aes(x=X,y=Y, color=factor(Type))) + geom_point()        #For
changing colors
ggplot(aes(x=X,y=Y, color=factor(Type), shape=factor(Type))) +
geom_point()        #For changing colors

Ista also gave a good solution, but if you ever have more than two sets of
points/lines to plot on the same graph you will have a simpler and faster
way of doing it. Also, if your data is set into different columns and you
do not have a factor, you can use the melt() function in the package
reshape2.  Your data will be melted into one line with the value beside the
variable i.e. the column name which can be used as a factor.

Cheers.

JM