[R] Rmpi unable to load

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 21 14:52:20 CEST 2013

I think you need to ask whoever installed Rmpi on your machine or
provided a binary package: CRAN does not distribute a Windows binary,
and one reason is that Rmpi has to be compiled against a specific MPI
installation.

Or ask the package maintainer, as the posting guide suggested.  In any
case, R-devel would have been more appropriate: this is about non-R
programming.  See also http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/yu/Rmpi/windows.htm

On 21/08/2013 13:18, Stephen Clark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run the optimise_ppso_robust parallel swarm optimisation function in R3.0.0 on a 6 core AMD Windows 8 64bit PC. To do this I need to load the Rmpi package. When I do this I get the following message in a dialogue box:
>
> The program can't start because mpich2mpi.dll is missing from your computer. Try installing the program to fix this problem.
>
> Additionally in the R console it says:
>
> Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'Rmpi', details:
>    call: inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...)
>    error: unable to load shared object 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.0.0/library/Rmpi/libs/x64/Rmpi.dll':
>    LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.
>
> In addition: Warning message:
> package 'Rmpi' was built under R version 3.0.1
> Error: package or namespace load failed for 'Rmpi'
>
> I have checked and there is a Rmpi.dll file in the specified directory.

So you have misread the message.  It does not say 'Rmpi.dll could not be
found': if you choose to use Windows you should be used to its arcane
messages.  It means 'some DLL etc needed could not be found' and on
recent versions of Windows there is usually a message box about one of them.