[R] Interpreting the result of 'cutree' from hclust/heatmap.2

David Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Thu Aug 22 16:20:06 CEST 2013

You specified 10 cuts to the dendrogram (all possible) so each
column represents the cluster membership for that number of
clusters. Column 1 is all ones because all rows belong to a
single cluster and in column 10 all the rows belong to different
clusters. For g9-9, 8 means that g9 belongs to cluster 8 when
there are 9 clusters (g2 and g4 belong to the same cluster) in
column 9.

David L Carlson
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Texas A&M University