[R] download.file error - corrupt: Can't read SAT; charset=binary'

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu Aug 22 22:17:49 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Tal Galili <tal.galili at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quick update - I think most of the problem is resolved.
> After more checks (following Uwe comments):
> 1) I see that the installer file runs properly when I set "mode='wb'", and
> fails when "mode='w'" (so that solves why some of the time the installer
> didn't run)

It's a common mistake, cf.
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2012-August/064739.html.  Also
one of the reasons for why R.utils::downloadFile() exists.

> 2) I still get the error massage mentioned before (e.g: "Composite Document
> File V2 Document, corrupt: Can't read SAT, etc..."). I don't know what it
> means, or if it is important (since the installer now runs properly).

I also get this message (on R devel on Windows).  It's seems to be
part of the HTTP header and nothing that R generates.  Using wget
--save-headers <url> (outside of R) you get:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK