[R] (no subject)

Tyler Rinker tyler_rinker at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 25 22:08:53 CEST 2013

Greeting R Community,

Greetings R Community,

I am attempting to make sure a parent package passes all CRAN checks for the dev version (R Under development (unstable) (2013-08-24 r63687) -- "Unsuffered Consequences").  The parent package I'm compiling relies on another package that is purely a dataset package as recommended by  CRAN Repository Policy for larger data sets:

"Where a large amount of data is required (even after compression), consideration should be given to a separate data-only package which can be updated only rarely (since older versions of packages are archived in perpetuity)."

The dataset only package is used heavily by the parent in that the data sets are frequently used by the parent package's functions and, additionally, it is sensible (in my opinion; particularly considering the intended user for my package) that the user would not need to manually load the dataset package when loading the parent package and still have access to all the data.

In the past I would have loaded the data sets from the data set only package by adding the dataset package to the `Depends:` field in the `DESCRIPTION file` of the parent package.  In the R dev version (Windows; R Under development (unstable) (2013-08-24 r63687) -- "Unsuffered Consequences") a Note occurs when including this dataset only package in the Depends field and nothing is actually imported (currently I don't export data sets but maybe I should be adding @exports to the roxygen2 documentation):

* checking dependencies in R code ... NOTE
Package in Depends field not imported from: 'qdapDictionaries'
  These packages needs to imported from for the case when
  this namespace is loaded but not attached.
See the information on DESCRIPTION files in the chapter 'Creating R
packages' of the 'Writing R Extensions' manual.

If the datasets were actually functions I could use @importFrom (roxygen2 documentation) to import the functions, and the Note would go away, but in this case the package contains datasets which are not exported (I don't think you're supposed to export data sets but would love to be wrong).

What is the best approach to having a data only package be accessible to the parent functions and user without explicitly loading the data set package, yet, pass the R dev version (R Under development (unstable) (2013-08-24 r63687) -- "Unsuffered Consequences") check?

Cheers

Tyler