[R] Sensitivy / Specificity and nulls

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Aug 29 14:32:27 CEST 2013

At 15:18 28/08/2013, Donald Catanzaro wrote:
>Good Day All,
>
>I am working with a diagnostic test and comparing the new test to an old
>test.  Normally I would be able to calculate sensitivity and specificity
>quite easily.
>
>However, the 'gold standard' that I am comparing my new diagnostic with is
>really 'gold-plated' in that sometimes the 'gold standard' fails completely
>and I have no data from the 'gold standard' but I might have data from the
>diagnostic test.  Of course sometimes my new diagnostic fails but I have
>data from my 'gold standard'

I am not sure I completely understand the situation, my crystal ball
is becoming rather opaque, but it sounds as though you are looking
for some form of meta-analysis of diagnostic tests when there is no
reference standard. HSROC, available from CRAN, claims to provide
this although I have never used it myself.

>To me this really starts moving towards classification but I cannot seem to
>find the appropriate calculations.
>
>Can someone point me to some web resources to determine the appropriate
>method to be able to deal with the NULLs ?  Resources within the medical
>realm would be better (because the rest of the folks would understand them
>better) but not required.
>
>--
>- Don
>
>Donald Catanzaro PhD