[R] 3D Strip Packing and R

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 15:07:55 CET 2013

Dear All,
I am struggling with a 3D Strip Packing problem.
Briefly: you have a set of boxes (cuboids of variable sizes) that you want
to put inside a (large) container of finite width and length (which are
larger than those of any of the boxes) and infinite depth.
The goal is to minimize the final depth of my pile of boxes inside the
container.
The boxes are allowed to float in mid air, but they cannot overlap and,
although they can be rotated, their faces need always to be parallel or
orthogonal to the container's walls. The boxes cannot overlap.
It is a hard optimization problem and I found a lot of literature about
it, but I wonder if there is anything already implemented (or easily
implementable) in R to tackle this kind of problems.
Any suggestion is welcome.
Cheers

Lorenzo