[R] Revolutions blog: November roundup

David Smith david at revolutionanalytics.com
Mon Dec 9 19:59:05 CET 2013

Revolution Analytics staff write about R every weekday at the Revolutions blog:
 http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com
and every month I post a summary of articles from the previous month
of particular interest to readers of r-help.

In case you missed them, here are some articles related to R from the
month of November:

A recap of the Strata Hadoop World conference, including presentations
from Monsanto and eHarmony on their use of R: http://bit.ly/1gTdWDy

How to rank and chart the most frequent hashtags of Twitter users with
R: http://bit.ly/1gTdYeo

What’s new in Revolution R Enterprise 7 (webinar replay): http://bit.ly/1gTdWDz

Using Plotly’s new interface with R, plus reports from R user groups:
http://bit.ly/1gTdYep

An analysis of World Series Baseball strikeout rates using R:
http://bit.ly/1gTdWDA

CRAN surpasses the milestone of 5,000 R packages, thanks to the
volunteers who maintain the system: http://bit.ly/1gTdYeq

A detailed guide to memory usage in R, from Hadley Wickham:
http://bit.ly/1gTdYer

Running R inside Teradata Database with Revolution R Enterprise
(webinar replay): http://bit.ly/1gTdWDB

The Human Rights Data Analysis Group uses R to estimate the number of
casualties in Syria: http://bit.ly/1gTdWTO

Data Scientists coming from computer science backgrounds can learn
from the small-data techniques of Statistics — even with Big Data:
http://bit.ly/1gTdYes

A tutorial on using iterators in R: http://bit.ly/1gTdYet

A Princeton University guide translates common Stata commands into R
code: http://bit.ly/1gTdYeu

Joseph Rickert surveys the available packages for Bayesian analysis
with R: http://bit.ly/1gTdWTS

In an interview with DataInformed, I discussed the rise of R as the
lingua franca of data science, and how the Big Data revolution has led
companies to adopt statistical decision making: http://bit.ly/1gTdYev

DataMind’s www.r-fiddle.org is an online scratchpad GUI for R
programmers: http://bit.ly/1gTdWTU

The new RFacebook package makes it possible to download and analyze
your Facebook social network: http://bit.ly/1gTdYey

R connections to startups Domino, Plotly and Quandl: http://bit.ly/1gTdWTW

A Thanksgiving greeting from Revolution Analytics (with an assist from
the cowsay package): http://bit.ly/1gTdYeA

Some non-R stories in the past month included: Virgin’s safety dance
(http://bit.ly/1gTdYez), a mouse perseveres (http://bit.ly/1gTdWTY),
sonification of sorting algorithms (http://bit.ly/1gTdYeB), a marked
rise in data scientist job postings (http://bit.ly/1gTdYeC), real-life
Mario (http://bit.ly/1gTdWTZ), and comet ISON rounds the sun
(http://bit.ly/1gTdWU0).

Meeting times for local R user groups (http://bit.ly/eC5YQe) can be
found on the updated R Community Calendar at: http://bit.ly/bb3naW

If you're looking for more articles about R, you can find summaries
from previous months at http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/roundups/.
You can receive daily blog posts via email using services like
blogtrottr.com, or join the Revolution Analytics mailing list at
http://revolutionanalytics.com/newsletter to be alerted to new
articles on a monthly basis.

As always, thanks for the comments and please keep sending suggestions
to me at david at revolutionanalytics.com . Don't forget you can also
follow the blog using an RSS reader, or by following me on Twitter
(I'm @revodavid).

Cheers,
# David

--