[R] fisher.test - can I use non-integer expected values?

bakerwl bakerwl at uwyo.edu
Wed Dec 11 16:19:45 CET 2013

Thank you David, Peter, and Peter,

I understand now that I would be misusing fisher.test to use it for a
goodness-of-fit test and that non-integer data are inappropriate since it is
for testing two sets of observed counts.

Peter D., it does not seem like a good idea for me to "cheat" fisher.test to
produce a goodness-of-fit outcome by using a larger set of expected data or
by generating all the configurations behind the fisher.test approach.
Wouldn't it be statistically inappropriate to turn fisher.test into a
goodness-of-fit test when it was not designed for this? Perhaps this is a
statistical question, not an R question, though.

What is the R function that does an exact test for goodness-of-fit for
categorical data with > 2 categories?