[R] censored counts and glmer/glmmADMB

Eric Elguero Eric.Elguero at ird.fr
Thu Dec 12 16:41:07 CET 2013

dear R-users,

I have to model counts where all counts above some threshold
have been censored. In the same dataset I have too many zeroes for
a Poisson or even a negative binomial distribution to make
sense, so I would need a zero-inflated-censored negative binomial
family for use in glmer (or glmmADMB?). That seems not to exist.

my question is :
how could I add a custom-built family of distributions that
I could call in glmer/glmmADMM ?

if it's not possible, I am considering imputing fake values
to replace the censored ones, but I am unsure whether this
is bad or very bad...

Eric Elguero
MIVEGEC (UM1- UM2 -CNRS 5290-IRD 224)
Maladies infectieuses et vecteurs :
écologie, génétique, évolution et contrôle
Centre IRD de Montpellier
911 Av Agropolis - BP 64501
34394 Montpellier Cedex