[R] convergence=0 in optim and nlminb is real?

Prof J C Nash (U30A) nashjc at uottawa.ca
Tue Dec 17 14:27:36 CET 2013

If you run all methods in package optimx, you will see results all over
the western hemisphere. I suspect a problem with some nasty
computational issues. Possibly the replacement of the function with Inf
when any eigenvalues < 0 or  nu < 0 is one source of this.

Note that Hessian eigenvalues are not used to determine convergence in
optimization methods. If they did, nobody would ever get promoted from
junior lecturer who was under 100 if they needed to do this, because
determining the Hessian from just the function requires two levels of
approximate derivatives.

If you want to get this problem reliably solved, I think you will need to
1) sort out a way to avoid the Inf values -- can you constrain the
parameters away from such areas, or at least not use Inf. This messes up
the gradient computation and hence the optimizers and also the final
Hessian.
2) work out an analytic gradient function.

JN