[R] install.packages and dependencies=TRUE

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 18:15:05 CET 2013

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Duncan Murdoch
> <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> I imagine some package has a function that does what you want, but I don't
>> know it.  It wouldn't be hard to put one together as follows:
>>
>> 1.  install your package without its dependencies.

This does not seem to work if the package had 'Depends' or 'Imports'
as well. What is the correct way to install a local package, so that
its dependencies are pulled from CRAN?

>> 2.  use tools::package_dependencies() to find the (non-recursive)
>> dependencies.

This does not seem to work, because the dependencies are only checked on CRAN.

>> 3.  install those, with their dependencies.

In summary, it is not quite trivial to do this correctly, if you look
at devtools:::install_deps and and devtools:::parse_deps, it is not 10
lines of code.

Anyway, I can just take the code from devtools or use their unreleased version.

Thanks again,
Gabor

[...]