[R] ifelse statement with two vectors of different length

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 16:18:38 CET 2013

Hi Adel,

If the problem is the spacing, then
library(stringr)
1*(long_df$country_name %in% str_trim(countrydiff))
# [1] 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0
A.K.

Dear Arun

Thanks for your reply, it made me realize that the problem was
not in the code but in the levels() of the factors. Some countries had
some extra spacing which made the ifelse() function not work. So if I
modify your code (added space to countrydiff), it will then look
something like this:

countrydiff <- c("Albania    ", "Algeria    ", "Belarus    ", "Canada   ", "Germany   ")
long_df <- data.frame(country_name = c("Algeria", "Guyana",
"Hungary", "Algeria", "Canada", "Iran", "Iran", "Norway","Uruguay",
"Zimbabwe") )

I had to use the gsub to fix this first.

Interestingly, the setdiff() function did not react on
spacing difference which I used before coming to the ifelse statement
and therefore I did not react on this in the first place

#no reaction from R on spacing diff.
setdiff(countrydiff, long_df$country_name)

Nevertheless, thanks again for being helpful!
Adel