[R] creating list of variables description

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Dec 19 19:53:06 CET 2013

On Dec 19, 2013, at 10:20 AM, C Lin wrote:

> Dear R-users,
>
> Can someone suggest a good way to keep a list of variables description in R?
> Something to provide more detailed information on the variables that I have.
> Kind of like this list:
> http://www.thearda.com/pals/researchers/VARIABLE_DESCRIPT_LIST%20-%20public.pdfI'd like to be able to output the variable list in a nice format.Thank you.

Do an RSiteSearch on "codebook" (Or use:

sos::findFn("codebook")

...  and look at the Hmisc package that does record variable descriptions from external datasets with some of its methods that import from SAS or SPSS files when they contain such information.

help(package="Hmisc")

# especially
sas.codes	Convert a SAS Dataset to an S Data Frame
sas.get	Convert a SAS Dataset to an S Data Frame
sasdsLabels	Enhanced Importing of SAS Transport Files using read.xport
sasxport.get	Enhanced Importing of SAS Transport Files using read.xport

spss.get	Enhanced Importing of SPSS Files

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]
And do learn to post in plain text:

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA