[R] Estimation of AR(1) model by QML.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 31 08:22:47 CET 2013

On 30/12/2013 22:57, Simon Zehnder wrote:
> Why not using optim on the likelihood in a) with normally distributed standard errors and for b) optim with a likelihood with t(3)-distributed standard errors?

Because evaluating the likelihood is a tricky business here.

I don't know what is meant by 'QML' here (even if the Q means 'quasi',
the term is used in several distinct senses, none common for time-series).

Suppose you observe (Y(1) ... Y(T)).  Note that Y(1) depends on the
unobserved Y(0).  In the Gaussian case you can write down the joint
multilvariate normal distribution and compute it with some matrix
algebra (assuming stationarity, which means a constrained optimization).
  But in case b) the joint distribution is not multivariate T.

An approach from 50+ years ago is to condition on Y(1), when this is
just a regression.  For the Gaussian case, see ar.ols(): for the t(3)
case you can use a robust regression function (but beware that the
optimization can be tricky).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk