[R] create and save a simulated dataset

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Sat Feb 2 22:46:28 CET 2013

Hello,

Once you formulate the problem properly, it's not hard to solve it in R.

Bert's questions should be answered before continuing. I'll make two
assumptions, not present in your post.
All diameters are assumed independent and to follow the same uniform
distribution. (iid scenario; the two assumptions you have to decide about.)

With these in mind, you can get some inspiration from the following
code. It produces 10 vectors of a random numbers of trees of random
diameters.

min.diam <- 1  # trees' diameters
max.diam <- 2  #
max.trees <- 10  # trees per stand
lapply(1:10, function(i) runif(sample(max.trees, 1), min.diam, max.diam))

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas