[R] Question: write an R script with help information available to the user

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Sun Feb 3 07:50:12 CET 2013

A  related approach which, if memory serves, was originally in S eons
ago, is to define a "doc" attribute of any function (or object, for
that matter)  that you wish to document that contains text for
documentation and a doc() function of the form:

doc <- function(obj) cat(attr(obj,"doc"))

used as:

> f- function(x) NULL
> attr(f,"doc") <- "Some text\n\n"
> doc(f)
> doc(f)
Some text

This is pretty primitive, but I suppose you could instead have the
attribute point to something like an HTML file and the doc() function
open it in a web browser, which is basically what R's built-in package
document system does anyway. Except you wouldn't have to build a
package and don't have to learn or follow R's procedures. Which means
you don't get  R's standardization and organization and no one but a
private bunch of users will be able to use your function. But maybe
that's sufficient for your needs.

-- Bert