[R] RandomForest, Party and Memory Management

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 20:47:16 CET 2013

Dear All,
For a data mining project, I am relying heavily on the RandomForest and
Party packages.
Due to the large size of the data set, I have often memory problems (in
particular with the Party package; RandomForest seems to use less memory).
I really have two questions at this point
1) Please see how I am using the Party and RandomForest packages. Any
comment is welcome and useful.

myparty <- cforest(SalePrice ~ ModelID+
                    ProductGroup+
                    ProductGroupDesc+MfgYear+saledate3+saleday+
                    salemonth,
                    data = trainRF,
control = cforest_unbiased(mtry = 3, ntree=300, trace=TRUE))

rf_model <- randomForest(SalePrice ~ ModelID+
                     ProductGroup+
                     ProductGroupDesc+MfgYear+saledate3+saleday+
                     salemonth,
                     data = trainRF,na.action = na.omit,
    importance=TRUE, do.trace=100, mtry=3,ntree=300)

2) I have another question: sometimes R crashes after telling me that it
is unable to allocate e.g. an array of 1.5 Gb.
However, I have 4Gb of ram on my box, so...technically the memory is
there, but is there a way to enable R to use more of it?

Many thanks

Lorenzo