[R] Rprof causing R to crash

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 18:03:32 CET 2013

Could you be a little more explicit of what the error message is.  On
my Windows system 32-bit, I get the following:

> Rprof()
> z <- 1
> system.time(for (i in 1:1e8) z <- z + 1/i)
Error: cannot allocate vector of size 381.5 Mb

Which is probably due to trying to allocate 1e8 elements of integers
(400MB).  Could you have a similar problem?

Now you could restructure your code to not allocate the large vector by:

Rprof()
z <- 1
i <- 0
system.time(while((i <- i + 1) < 1e8) z <- z + 1/i)
Rprof(NULL)