[R] How to dynamically replace the text behind dollar sign: '$'

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Feb 6 09:14:18 CET 2013

On Feb 5, 2013, at 10:48 PM, 谢一鸣 wrote:

> Thanks David, your solution perfectly solve my problem. But Do you
> know what exactly the mechanism of "Computing on the language" in
> pdf file: "R language definition", Can that "THING" do the same job?

I wouldn't consider that to be "computing on the language. There is an
entire Section 6 regarding "computing on the Language". I don't see
evidence that you have read it yet. "Computing on the language"
generally refers to manipulation objects of 'language' class before
they get evaluated.

--
David.

> Thank you very much!
> Xie YM
>
> 2013-02-06 14:22:57,"David Winsemius" <dwinsemius at comcast.net> 写
> 道:
>> The "$" construction is only a syntactic shortcut for
>> "[["argument"]].
>> What you are looking for is described in the ?"[[" page. You should
>> be
>> constructing a formal that is assigned a syntactically legal column
>> name ...  NOT "ANYTHING I WANT". Perhaps:
>>
>> function(dfrm , colname = "V1") {
>>        return( dfrm[[ colname ]] )
>> # the argument will get evaluated as "V1" unless an alternate colname
>> argument is supplied
>>        }
>>
>> ( You can't get "$" to evaluate a character column name.)
>>
>> --
>> David Winsemius, MD
>> Alameda, CA, USA

David Winsemius, MD