[R] appending and merging data frames

John Smith johsmi9933 at inbox.com
Thu Feb 7 18:12:44 CET 2013

Hi Gerrit,

as I said in my original email, I already know both the
merge and the rbind commands, but I think that many
standard situations (I have given just a few) require
rather clumsy ad-hoc programming. So I was wondering
if there are any packages or existing code that would
make it easier to handle the diverse append/merge
tasks that tend to occur rather frequently.
For at least some of these tasks, other stats
packages, like Stata do provide out-of-the box
commands or command options.
Again, I just want to know if there is already some
package or code for this out there somewhere, especially
for appending tasks (automatically taking care of
missing variables, renaming, data types etc.)
The RSiteSearch() function is helpful and came up
with slightly different versions of merge but nothing
for append.

John