[R] Sourcing my file does not print command outputs

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Feb 7 21:05:43 CET 2013

You can leave your script as it was and use source()'s
print.eval=TRUE or echo=TRUE arguments to get the
autoprinting done as it is at the command line
(echo=TRUE also prints the commands).

E.g., for the file "/tmp/x.R" containing the 2 lines
  d <- mtcars[,c("am","gear","hp","mpg")]
  summary(lm(data=d, mpg~.))
I get
  > source("/tmp/x.R")
or
  > source("/tmp/x.R", echo=TRUE) # this is the only line I typed

  > d <- mtcars[,c("am","gear","hp","mpg")]

  > summary(lm(data=d, mpg~.))

  Call:
  lm(formula = mpg ~ ., data = d)
  [... many output lines elided ...]
  F-statistic: 34.83 on 3 and 28 DF,  p-value: 1.377e-09
or
  > source("/tmp/x.R", echo=FALSE, print.eval=TRUE) # only line I typed

  Call:
  lm(formula = mpg ~ ., data = d)
  [... many output lines elided ...]
  F-statistic: 34.83 on 3 and 28 DF,  p-value: 1.377e-09

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com